(from Thong Ba Le's story "A FAREWELL TO MOTHERLAND")

... The rain poured down when the fishing trawler was about to pass the intersection of Nha Be, Gia Dinh and Dong Nai on Saigon River. One branch of the river made a turn toward Cat Lai; the other one changed direction to the East Sea and later divided again into Long Tao and Soai Rap Rivers. The crowd consisted of people of all ages snuggled side by side under nylon tents, umbrellas, and raincoats to hide from the afternoon shower and strong wind blowing from the stern that helped to increase the speed of the big boat.

Finally, the short rainstorm began to stop and the blue sky gradually appeared after the gray-dark clouds slowly drifted away to the west. The sunrays pierced through the clouds and sunshine returned over the Vietnamese refugees who evacuated from the fallen city of Saigon.

From the direction of the Nha Be fuel depot, tens of South Vietnamese Navy gunboats were moving in a column formation. They were combat units of River Groups, Patrol Groups, or Special Mission Groups of the Navy Riverine Force. People aboard the fishing trawler were so surprised to see the gunboats with sailors in a state of combat heading toward Saigon. They wondered if the Commanding officer of the group was aware that Saigon had fallen and the North Vietnamese Communist now occupied the Republic of Vietnam’s Navy Headquarters. The South Vietnamese President, Duong Van Minh who came into office three days before, had surrendered to the Communists. It was about 1230 on April 30, 1975 and the refugees tried to signal to the sailors on these gunboats to turn around rather than continuing on to Saigon.

Within the group of boats, I stood on the deck of the CCB gunboat, which continued to report to the South Vietnamese Navy in Saigon for further instructions, because I could not establish communications with the Senior officers at headquarters. Last night, the heavy attack of the enemy’s 122mm-rockets heavily damaged and almost destroyed my base. I decided to lead all gunboats whose Commanding officers had left their units in previous days to go abroad with their families.

On the starboard side of the formation, I saw sailors taking off their flak jackets, navigating their small boats to follow big civilian ships, and trying to climb up the ropes to get aboard. They left their gunboats floating in the murky water of a historic river that witnessed the departure of the people from a defeated nation.

The nurse from my base came up from below deck and told me that General Duong Van Minh had just surrendered to the North Vietnamese Communist. He ordered all units to drop their weapons and to stop fighting against the enemy of the people. I could not believe what she had just said. Tears began to flow down my cheeks, blurring my eyes. I felt disgraced by the leaders; they were violating and taking away by force the honor of a proud nation. I was outraged as to what was happening to us, the sailors, who did not want to give up our ship. Only cowards who were afraid of death made such decisions. We were not afraid, especially of dying for our country, for the cause of Freedom and Democracy.

The Captain of the fishing trawler ordered his crew to a stop after navigating the vessel close to the Command and Control gunboat of his Navy friend. I saluted Captain C. when the two vessels got alongside. He told me about the bad situation in Saigon early this morning when he had to get underway in a hurry without a navigator aboard. Capt. C. was an engineering officer and had no experiences navigating the trawler out to sea. He also confirmed the surrender of President Duong Van Minh to the Communists.

Finally, he asked if I would be able to help him and the people on board to navigate the vessel through the Long Tao-Soai Rap River and guide it to the open sea. I hesitated a moment, then radioed to the skippers of the gunboats. I informed them of what Captain C. had told me including his request for me to navigate his vessel, which was well guarded by hired special force soldiers.

All my men advised me to take my family and get aboard the vessel to freedom; they would follow me after getting their own families. I felt conflicting emotions raising up inside of me as I sincerely thanked my comrades-at-arms that had fought valiantly during the enemy attack the previous night. I also apologized for not remaining with them until the end of this heartbreaking chapter in our nation’s history.

After saying good-bye and wishing one another good luck, we separated in opposite directions. I helped my wife, Minh, and our four young children to climb aboard the trawler while my comrades-at-arms continued their journey to the unknown future. I took the second in command and began to navigate the 300+ ton vessel with more than 200 people aboard including a Chinese-Vietnamese from Cho Lon district who bought this modified fishing trawler to escape for freedom.

We passed the Nha Be oil depot when the fire smoke from the Naval Support Base at Nha Be was still hanging thickly in the sky. I stopped the engines to recover my personnel from the base. Many of them decided to stay behind for different reasons. Some said that they had planned to find a way to the sea after they found their families. The Chinese and other passengers got all the Vietnamese “dong-piasters” that were no longer valuable to the refugees. The sailors gave them bags of rice and instant noodles. They said good-bye and good luck to one another, people whom had never met each other before and would never meet again in their lifetime.

Before they left, the sailors also told me that Viet Cong ambushed a merchant ship, Viet Nam Thuong Tin, on the Long Tao River, about half an hour ago at 1330. They shot rockets and killed many passengers aboard; among them was Mr. Chu Tu, one of the South Vietnamese famous writers. Having heard this, Captain C. and I decided to navigate the trawler through Soai Rap River instead of Long Tao River. Although it was more difficult to navigate through this shallow but wide river, it was also easy to observe and to avoid being hit by Communist B-40s set up ashore. One of the gunboat skippers gave us an Army map of the Vung Tau, Soai Rap area, and a few navigation aids. I needed those tools to help me fix and determine the position of the vessel because all I had before was a magnetic compass.

We got underway again at approximately 1415 hours and proceeded to the Soai Rap River, following the wake of the boats cruising ahead. There were all kinds of boats and vessels heading toward Vung Tau harbor. I saw many Landing Craft Utility (LCU) boats of the Army Transport Corps, several Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM), Landing Craft Vehicle Personnel (LCVP), and a few Patrol River Boats (PBR's) of the South Vietnamese Navy. I also glimpsed civilian junk boats, vessels, and others steaming at their maximum speed. The whole country was still upset and confused from losing their beloved homeland. The people were in a panic when they heard about the advancement of the North Vietnamese Communist toward the capital of the Republic of South Vietnam. They tried to find any seaworthy means to escape the dictatorship regime of the Communists.

The afternoon breeze blew softly from rows of low water palm trees on the riverbanks. The surface seemed to light up under the late afternoon sunshine, blinking with thousands of small imaginary stars reflected from the calm surface. A few long-necked cranes spread their wide wings, their shapes reflected in the smooth surface while sea birds slowly flew above the reeds along both sides of the river. Nature seemed to ignore the changing hand of a nation. It appeared normal to the eyes of the evacuees who already were aware of the events that caused them to leave behind their livelihood including their birth places, tombs of their ancestors, and their beloved ones. They also knew that anything that happened to them on this journey of destiny could affect their future. They were the refugees who escaped from communism to seek freedom for themselves and their families...


... Trời đổ mưa ào xuống khi chiếc tàu đánh cá chạy ngang qua ngă ba sông Nhà Bè, một hướng chảy về Cát Lái, một ngă xuôi ra sông Ḷng Tào, Soài Rạp. Người tỵ nạn đứng ngồi trên sàn tàu, chen chúc nhau dưới các tấm ny lông, thân h́nh co ro với chiếc áo mưa, trong khi gió sông thổi mạnh phía sau lái, làm tăng tốc lực thêm cho con tàu đi biển loại nhỏ. Các quân nhân Lôi hổ, hờm sẵn súng tiểu liên, phóng lựu M79, hướng về mặt sông, nơi thuyền bè của dân di tản đang xuôi ra biển Vũng Tàu.

Trận mưa đám mây không kéo dài lâu lắm, gió mạnh đă bắt đầu dịu xuống và bầu trời trở nên quang đảng, ánh nắng buổi xế trưa lại le lói xuyên qua các vầng mây xám đen, đang bay về phương trời xa. Từ hướng kho xăng Nhà Bè, hàng chục chiến đỉnh Hải quân thuộc các Giang đoàn Xung Phong, Thủy Bộ, Trục Lôi... đang chậm răi giang hành về hướng Sài g̣n. Mọi người trên chiếc tàu đánh cá thắc mắc, không lẽ cấp Chỉ huy của toán chiến đỉnh này không biết ǵ về việc Tướng Dương văn Minh đầu hàng, Sài G̣n đă thất thủ và Bộ Tư lệnh Hải quân đă bị Việt Cộng vào chiếm rồi hay sao? Lúc bấy giờ đă hơn 12 giờ rưởi trưa, một vài người khoác tay về phía các giang đỉnh đang dẫn đầu, ra hiệu cho các thủy thủ mặc quân phục tác chiến, áo giáp, nón sắt. Dân di tản muốn liên lạc và bảo những chiến hữu này hăy quay tàu chạy ra biển, thay v́ tiếp tục về hướng Sài G̣n.

Phía trước mặt bên tả hạm, có vài chiếc tàu cũng lớn xấp xỉ bằng tàu đánh cá này. Các nhân viên trên vài chiến đỉnh loại nhỏ của Liên đoàn Thủy Bộ và Tuần Thám có lẽ như đă nhận hiểu thủ hiệu. Họ quay chiến đỉnh trở lại, và lái tàu chạy theo sau những tàu đánh cá, rồi một vài người trong thủy thủ đoàn cổi áo giáp, đeo các sợi dây thừng, leo lên tàu lớn và bỏ lại chiến đỉnh trôi bập bềnh trên sông. Cũng như nhiều quân nhân Hải quân không có gia đ́nh ở Sài G̣n, những thủy thủ này đă quyết định theo các tàu thuyền di tản, v́ thấy mọi người đều bỏ quê hương ra đi.

Tôi ở trên soái đỉnh của Giang đoàn Thủy Bộ và đang cùng đoàn chiến đỉnh gần 50 chiếc, hải hành về tŕnh diện Bộ Tư lệnh Hải quân tại bến Bạch đằng. Cô Y tá thuộc Bệnh viện của Căn cứ báo cáo cho tôi, về việc Tướng Minh đă đầu hàng quân Cộng sản miền Bắc cũng như ông vừa ra lệnh tất cả các đơn vị thuộc Quân lực Việt Nam Cọng Ḥa buông súng và ngưng chiến đấu. Tôi sững sờ, không tin những ǵ đang nghe, rồi nghẹn ngào uất ức và đau buồn dâng tràn trong tim.

Khi chiếc tàu đánh cá chạy ngược chiều với chiếc chiến đỉnh trang bị hải pháo và pháo tháp nặng nề này, Đại tá Ch. là một Sĩ quan Hải quân ngành Cơ khí, người chỉ huy tàu đánh cá, ra lệnh chuẩn bị ngừng tàu lại. Ông ấy vừa nhận ra người bạn Hải quân, một Sĩ quan cấp bậc Trung tá ngành chỉ huy, thuộc Căn cứ Yểm trợ Tiếp vận Nhà Bè, đang đứng trên boong soái đỉnh.

Ông dùng loa nói chuyện và thông báo t́nh h́nh cho tôi, Đại tá Ch. cho tôi biết về t́nh trạng rối ren tại Sài G̣n và chấp thuận cho gia đ́nh tôi quá giang, đồng thời yêu cầu tôi giúp ông ta đưa tàu này ra biển. V́ người tài công có nhiệm vụ lái tàu, phút cuối đă không đến được và cho đến bây giờ trên tàu không có dụng cụ hải hành, bản đồ... và chỉ có một la bàn từ dùng cho việc định hướng lái tàu. Sài G̣n đă mất vào tay Cộng sản và không c̣n ǵ để tiếp tục chiến đấu nữa cả. Sau một hồi đắn đo suy nghĩ, như người mất hồn, tôi gọi máy hỏi ư kiến thuyền trưởng các chiến đỉnh và tất cả đều khuyến khích tôi nên cùng gia đ́nh theo tàu đánh cá ra khỏi vùng lửa đạn. Họ đồng ư và hứa với tôi, sẽ t́m phương tiện để đưa gia đ́nh của họ, đang c̣n kẹt ở Sài G̣n, di tản ra biển t́m Tự do. Tôi ngậm ngùi chào từ giă các chiến hữu thân mến đă cùng tôi tử thủ và chiến đấu suốt đêm qua, chúc mọi người gặp nhiều may mắn. Sau đó tôi đưa vợ tôi, Minh và bốn đứa con đang c̣n nhỏ, lên chiếc tàu đánh cá rồi phụ giúp Đại tá Ch. vận chuyển tàu giang hành ngang qua kho xăng Nhà Bè.

Từ xa một cột khói đen bay lên cao từ hướng Căn cứ Yểm trợ Tiếp vận, suốt đêm bị địch pháo kích phá hủy tan tành và gây nên những đám cháy dữ dội. Tàu ngưng máy một lúc để chúng tôi đón vài nhân viên Hải quân thuộc Căn cứ Yểm trợ này lên. Sau đó mọi người trên tàu đánh cá quyên góp tiền Việt Nam mà họ c̣n mang theo, nay đă trở thành vô giá trị đối với người di tản, chuyền xuống các chiến đỉnh cho các thủy thủ, hoặc v́ lư do này hay lư do khác, quyết định ở lại với gia đ́nh và quê hương. Các người Tàu đưa hết những xấp giấy 1000 đồng cho quân nhân Hải quân với tất cả tấm ḷng. Nhân viên giang đỉnh cũng cảm động cám ơn, rồi họ mang ra ba bốn bao gạo, vài thùng ḿ gói tặng cho người di tản. Họ ngậm ngùi chúc nhau nhiều may mắn và biết đây là lần đầu tiên họ gặp nhau và cũng là lần cuối. Các thuyền trưởng chiến đỉnh đưa cho vị Chỉ huy cũ của ḿnh vài bản đồ khu vực sông Ḷng Tào, từ Soài Rạp ra đến Vũng Tàu, loại bản đồ hành quân của đơn vị Bộ binh. Họ c̣n cho tôi biết là chiếc thương thuyền Việt Nam Thương Tín bị Việt Cộng chận bắn trên sông Ḷng Tào khoảng nửa giờ trước đây, vào lúc 1 giờ 30 chiều, một số người bị tử thương, trong số đó có nhà văn Chu Tử. Khi nghe được tin này, Đại tá Ch. và tôi quyết định thay đổi giang tŕnh, thay v́ dùng sông Ḷng Tào chật hẹp dễ bị tấn công bởi quân Cộng sản, tôi sẽ vận chuyển tàu theo lộ tŕnh sông Soài Rạp, mặc dù khó hải hành nhưng v́ sông rất rộng nên có thể tránh được nguy hiểm và an toàn hơn.

Trên sông tàu thuyền tấp nập với những tàu chở hàng LCU của Quân vận, ghe đánh cá dân sự, Giang tốc đỉnh PBR thuộc các Liên đoàn Tuần Thám, phăng phăng rẽ ḍng nước đục ngầu, đầy bùn phù sa và rong bèo lẫn lục b́nh, cuồn cuộn trôi ra phía vịnh Vũng Tàu. Gió mát thổi từng cơn từ phía hàng dừa nước hai bên bờ, mặt nước sông như sáng hẳn lên dưới ánh nắng chiều, lóng lánh ngàn v́ sao nhỏ phản chiếu từ gịng sông uốn khúc. Vài con chim c̣, chim vạc với đôi cánh dài nhẹ lướt qua những lùm cây thấp bên gành, cạnh rừng lau sậy mọc lưa thưa. Thiên nhiên vẫn b́nh thản như không có ǵ thay đổi trước mắt dân di tản. Tuy nhiên mọi người đă nhận thức rằng kể từ giờ phút này, họ bắt đầu một cuộc đổi đời mà định mệnh đă làm cho dân miền Nam phải xa ĺa quê cha đất tổ và bỏ lại tất cả những ǵ quư giá nhất của ḿnh v́ không muốn sống dưới chế độ độc tài Cộng sản. Những việc ǵ sẽ đến trong giờ phút sắp tới đều có ảnh hưởng đến cả cuộc đời của người đi t́m ánh sáng Tự do và an toàn cho cá nhân cũng như gia đ́nh họ. ...

(NGÀY 30 THÁNG 4 NĂM 2016)